HHU Düsseldorf is located at a campus outside the city centre:
Therefore, you best book a room in one of the many hotels in the city centre and travel to the conference venue by public transport.
Subways U73 and U83 run from the city centre directly to the university (“Universität Ost/Botanischer Garten”; last stop). Subway U79 also runs from the city centre directly to the university (“Universität Ost/Botanischer Garten”; last stop), but also stops at the main station. This line also brings you to the venue of the GASt event on 5 October. There are also buses going to the university, e.g. lines 835 and 836 (stop “Universität Mitte”).
We have arbitrarily chosen a couple of hotels in Düsseldorf which are conveniently situated close to a stop of the above-mentioned lines and which you may want to have a look at (please click on the map above to be directed to an interactive OpenStreetMap):
- A&O Düsseldorf Hauptbahnhof: from € 20.90 (mixed dorm, 6 beds, private) to € 63 (single, private); breakfast: € 7
- Backpackers Düsseldorf: from € 18.50 (mixed dorm, 10 beds, shared) to € 32 (single, private), incl. breakfast
- boutique hotel berial: single from € 64, double for single use from €74; double from € 84 (incl. breakfast)
- Breidenbacher Hof: from € 284 (no, not for a three-nights’ stay…); breakfast: € 42 (incl. oysters!)
- Burns Art Hotel: single from € 89.25, double from € 110.50; breakfast: € 15
- Friends Hotel Düsseldorf: single from € 85, double from € 95; breakfast: € 15
- Gästehaus Grupello: single ensuite from € 45, double ensuite from € 55, incl. breakfast
- ibis Düsseldorf Hauptbahnhof: room from € 62; breakfast: € 11
- IntercityHotel Düsseldorf: single from € 63.75, double from € 76.50; breakfast: € 13
- Haus Mooren: single from € 65, double from € 78; breakfast: € 27
- HK-Hotel Düsseldorf City: single from € 72.33, double from € 82.33; breakfast: € 25.80
- Melia Düsseldorf: € 80 excl. breakfast, € 99 incl. breakfast (conference rate, please book directly through Ms Nadine Schmitz (nadine.schmitz [at] melia.com) – online: room from € 72.33 excl. breakfast and from € 128.33 incl. breakfast
Except for with Melia Düsseldorf, we haven’t agreed on any special rates with any of the hotels mentioned above, they only mirror our personal choice and are all located close to one of the stops of either U73, U79, U83, 835, or 836. Have a look at the plans provided by Rheinbahn to verify the stops next to the hotel of your choice are close to any of the convenient lines. We recommend not moving beyond “Wehrhahn” (U73 and U83) and “Victoriaplatz/Klever Str.” (U79) and staying at the right bank of the Rhine (the Youth Hostel is fully booked for the night 5-6 October, we’re afraid; otherwise, it would have been a good choice despite its being located at the left bank)! Hotels at the Trade Fair are too far off, whereas hotels near the harbour area are still ok, even though you will have to change trams to get to uni.